Sunday, September 12, 2010

China - Day 88 - China Retrospective

Wow, I made it. There were times that I seriously doubted whether I would last here, but I did. I don't know how I could write something cohesive about my experiences in China, so I'm going to resort to bullet points:

Things I'm going to miss:
  • Being able to find milk tea everywhere
  • Food being inexpensive and tasty
  • The very impressive workshop at Allied
  • Being good at basketball
  • Exploring the city with my friends as an isolated group in a huge city
  • The Shanghai Metro System and high-speed rail to Hangzhou
  • Baozi and jiaozi. It's going to be hard to go back to eating Ling Ling
  • Very kind and generous personal interactions

Things I'm not going to miss:
  • Being stared at all the time everywhere I go
  • Having to debone meat as I eat it
  • Everyone smoking everywhere all the time
  • Littering, spitting, people urinating everywhere
  • The lack of personal space
  • Monsoon weather
  • Only having instant or overpriced coffee to drink
  • Chinese "Beer" - an insult to beer
  • Being functionally illiterate
  • Not being able to drink tap water
  • Everyone's lack of concern for safety
  • Everyone's general disdain for strangers
  • Getting the run around from my company when it's time to get paid
  • Not being able to get a straight answer out of anyone
  • Feeling like I'm risking my life every time I cross the street

Things I might miss or might not:
  • People pushing/cutting in line - It's incredibly rude, but I'm good at it
  • Never having to pay for a meal - Never being allowed to pay for yourself does get a bit insulting after a while
  • Grocery Stores - They have some delicious surprises and some of the most foul "food" I've ever seen
  • People watching - People act very differently in public than they do back home
  • Chinese fashion - everyone tries to stand out and ends up looking silly
  • Chinese ambition - People seem much more ambitious, but less creative here
  • Strangers telling me I'm handsome - On one hand, it's very flattering. On the other, it's a very creepy way to start a conversation on the bus (which happened to me twice).

No comments: