Wednesday, September 8, 2010

China - Day 83 - When it Rains, it Pours

Miraculously, I'm not talking about the weather, but rather basketball. After waiting 11 weeks for my company to finally play a basketball game, I get two in four days. We finally played the police and they were far and away the best team we played all summer. They were much more physical and organized than anyone else we played (this seemed painfully obvious in hindsight). For once we were actually the smaller team, and we got positively worked. It seemed like I was the only one of our players who could actually hold his own in the key, but I was pretty useless there when 3 guys would collapse on me (due to their very effective 2-3 zone). It did frustrate me that they played dirty (ironic), but I got over it (my bruises are still holding a grudge). We ended up losing, but the loss didn't sting, strangely. Probably due to my surreal "last week in China" feelings.

Work is... strange right now. I've been trying to self-teach about CNC milling in practice and helping to finish the set-up of the 1816 line. I come and go as I please; the autonomy feels strange in this type of internship, but I'm just trying to learn as much useful information as I can while not getting in the way. Actually, not getting in the way is kind of a problem because there are about 10 guys from Allied who watch the Canadian contractors setting up and running the machining, so it gets pretty crowded. Oh well, they'll be here after I'm gone, so I shouldn't feel too bad.

No comments: