Friday, August 13, 2010

China - Day 57 - Beginning the Home Stretch

Huh, I've been in China for 8 weeks now and I will be here for 30 more days. It's strange how time flies once you get over the initial shock of adapting to a new location.

This week at work has actually been the most engaging week I've had. Michael gave me a project to take a 2D CAD diagram and to recreate it as a 3D CAD model, in both casted and finished forms and to then simulate the machining on the 3D model. This has been the most independent work I've done here and probably the most fulfilling. This week I also met the president's son who is visiting from America and is going to be applying to college next year. It's funny, even though his parents are Chinese, he was raised in America and his reaction to China was very much like my initial reaction; I guess that gives some credence to nurture over nature. He's considering Stanford and I gave him the sales pitch, but he wants to study business, which could be a problem. Only time (and the admissions office) will tell.

I'm excited for today because 1) it's payday and 2) I'm going to Shanghai today. I'm getting paid for the second time, which is good because I've spent all the cash from my first paycheck. This money will be quite useful for the shopping trip I did reconnaissance for last week and for my trip to Shanghai. I'm leaving Hangzhou tonight to meet some friends in Shanghai where we'll stay in a hostel and go visit the Expo. I'm excited to finally do this because it was one of the things that I thought I really couldn't miss while I was in China. I hope it lives up to my (hopefully not too lofty) expectations

Update: The power went out at the factory, so I got sent home early. I'm currently sitting at home killing 5 hours until I head over to the train station, where I will still need to kill an hour. It's strange, the only other time the power went out at work was the last time I went to Shanghai. I'm starting to sense a pattern here...

No comments: