Wednesday, July 14, 2010

China - Day 26 - Monsoon season sucks

Last couple days have run together, so they don't get differentiated. It has been raining for the better part of the last week and I'm rather not enjoying it. The monsoon season is one of the things that I definitely did not anticipate about China, but it is a reality that I've had to deal with. I have to walk about a mile to work every day; my usual route is completely uncovered, but on days it's raining pretty hard I'll walk under the elevated highway that runs right next to my apartment complex, which keeps me pretty dry. From the looks of it, I'm in for at least another month of monsoon season (Damn you El NiƱo).

On the work front, things are changing up, which is good because I felt like they were stagnating. I finished the fixture and the machining plans for the fixture and the workpiece, which took much longer than anticipated, but I was glad to be done with the same fixture I'd been working on for two weeks. Today I got to edit a production fixture that had to be readjusted due to casting issues, but I fixed it pretty quickly, so I decided to play around in Pro/E a little bit and it is very different from NX6 (less intuitive in my opinion). Perhaps it is a more powerful tool, but I've barely scratched the surface.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but my company has a basketball team that occasionally plays games against the teams of other companies (because basketball's very popular in China). Anyway, my mentor told me today that we have a game coming up against the police (of Xiasha, not Sting) and that they want me to play. I've only played basketball twice in China, but I've done alright thanks to my willingness to play rough in the post and being six inches taller than the next tallest guy. I'm not sure if those tactics will work against the police though. Hopefully the team won't be relying on me because my game is pretty rusty. Oh, and I found out that we have company jerseys, which means that they take this seriously. No pressure, I just have to live up to their expectations of my entire country

On a completely unrelated note, I want to talk about the food over here; it isn't exactly what we would consider to be Chinese food in America. I'm living in Zhejiang province, which has it's own distinct style of food that can be very different from the food in the next province over (like the difference between French food and German food). I do most of my eating at the company canteen because I live in an industrial district where there aren't many options for food (there are only 2 restaurants and a convenience store within a 1 mile radius). The cooks in the company canteen are from Anhui province which has food similar to Zhejiang that tends to be salty and somewhat bland, compared to other provinces. This style of food is very different from the Chinese food I'm used to at home (mostly Hunan and Sichuan/Szechwan). Vegetables are featured very prominently and meat is used sparingly. There is an important distinction between Northern Chinese and Southern Chinese food: in Northern China they grow wheat, which means they use noodles as their primary starch. In Southern China they grow rice, which means rice is used as the primary starch and that most noodles are rice noodles (which I happen to hate). As someone who loves chao mian, this has been quite frustrating, although it does make going out on the weekends more enjoyable because I have the option to eat Western food or food from other provinces.

No comments: