Wednesday, December 24, 2008

NZ Day 6 - Fire and Ice (Mostly Ice)

Today was an eventful one. We started off by walking clear across Christchurch to pick up a rental car, which actually only took about half an hour (it's not a big city). Then it took them an hour to get our car ready :/ But it was worth it, because they let me drive (only have to be 18 in NZ), and not only was it a rental car, but it was on the wrong side of the road. There is a pretty steep learning curve, but eventually is feels natural. Except for traffic circles. I fucking hate those.

We drove out to the International Antarctic Center (which touts itself as the world's best Antarctic museum) by the airport where the US (and Italian and New Zealand, etc) Antarctic Programs are based. The museum didn't have much to offer in way of interesting things, but they did have a room with simulated blizzard conditions (awesome) and a giant tractor (like the ones they use in Antarctica) ride (double awesome). If you ever find yourself with a 4 hour layover in Christchurch (but I have no idea why you would), go across the street to the IAC (they even have luggage lockers).

From the IOC we drove out to Akaroa, a little French settlement on a bay on the other side of foothills from Christchurch. I'm sure it's normally a lovely place, but with crappy weather and it being Christmas Eve, everything was closed. When we got back to Christchurch, we stopped at a grocery store (to stock up for our mini roadtrip tomorrow) and an Aussie expat got to talking to my dad and came under the impression that he (my dad) had just returned from the American McMurdo Antarctic Base. No, I'm not making that up.

We had dinner reservations at Cook'n with Gas, whose rather hokey name doesn't do justice to the amazing food. I had the lamb (exquisite) and the crepes (richer than anything I've ever eaten). Their style is apparently New Zealand Bistro, which is very similar to American Bistro, but with great hospitality. We spent more than an hour talking after desert and they hadn't offered us the check once. I absolutely love the hospitality at New Zealand restaurants, they are great to their customers.




Giant Chess. Oh no, it's not the first time I've seen it.




I'm driving on the wrong side of the road!




The headquarters of the US Antarctic Program




It's cold. But I still want to beat kal.

SE Asian restaurants: 3.5
Page in ASHONE: Done
I bought Blink by Malcolm Gladwell to have something to read.

No comments: